Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Our last week in Melbourne

So my last batch of photos are extremely late, but never late than better right?
 New Year's on Phillip Island...

In the new year, we went to the drive in cinema... (novelty for me as we don't get that many in the UK, if we do, then er... where are they?!)

So my flatmate created these flavours when he was living in Melbourne before he came over to London. I, of course was more than happy to oblige in testing these for er, feedback.

We made new friends

and went for a long and mighty road trip along the Great Ocean Road...

When the weather took a turn for the er, foggiest?

One of my favourite stops was stopping at The Twelve Apostles...

As well as Loch Ard Gorge (we weren't going to head to this until we thought, 'ahhh let's check it out anyway, may as well as we are right next to it!') One of the most prettiest spots. There is a bit of history to this place, too. The Loch Ard, set off to sail from England to Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne on March 2nd, 1878.

Tragically, the ship collided into the rocky reefs, after Captain Gibbs misjudged the proxomity of the ship and the cliffs of Victoria's west coast after sailing in dense fog. It was too late - the ship was far too close to turn back into the sea and only two of the people on board survived. Tom Pearce, a ship apprentice and Eva Carmichael who was a passenger on the ship.

Tom Pearce had managed to seek shelter from a lifeboard and drifted out to sea, until he came into what is now known as Loch Ard Gorge. Pearce managed to swim to shore and sought shelter in a cave.

Eva Carmichael had been swept off the ship, into the sea and was carried into Loch Ard Gorge, after enduring five hours in the water, Pearce attracted the attention of Pearce who had swam and brought her to shore.

Pearce scaled the cliffs of Loch Ard Gorge and managed to seek help from two men near Glenample Station, a few miles away. Pearce and Carmichael were eventually taken to the station to recover, Pearce received a hero’s welcome in Melbourne and, after six weeks,Carmichael returned to Ireland.

It's incredible to think such an sad and tragic event took place here, and once you get a feel of the true depths of the cliffs and how difficult it must have been for Pearce to climb out of the gorge, it's overwhelming.

Safely back to land, the next day (and last full day before heading back to London ) we ventured in land, back in Melbourne CBD. (Central Business District, that is!).

C took me through a tour of his university, University of Melbourne.

Whilst stopping off for a.......flat white. (Of course!)

...and then taking me for a spot of sushi (for me) and bento (for him).

Before making the long long way home (28 hours to be exact)...Melbourne, you beaut.

F x



Blogger Template Created by pipdig